Do you design, create, or build with responsibly sourced local wood? We want to see it! Enter your project into the Build Local Challenge for a chance to put your work in the spotlight!
The Build Local Challenge is a way for the Build Local Alliance (BLA) to recognize the work of people, companies, and groups that use locally and responsibly sourced forest products. The BLA is passionate about supporting sustainable forestry and a healthy economy. Help us show how it’s done – fill out an application and enter your project today!
Who can enter?
Anyone who uses locally sourced, responsibly grown wood, including:
• Designers and architects
• Contractors (residential and commercial)
• Wood Products Manufacturers
• Home/building owners
What are the Challenge Criteria?
Projects can be entered in one of two categories:
Projects must also:
• Have been completed within a two hour drive of Portland, Oregon
• Have been initiated no earlier than October 2014, and be completed by September 30, 2016
Projects entered into the Build Local Challenge will be evaluated on the following criteria and general guidelines. If your project does not strictly fall under the guidelines given below, you are encouraged to describe how your own interpretation fulfills the spirit of the criteria.
1. Use of locally sourced wood: 100% of the wood used is grown from within the Portland BLA chapter geography area (see map). The more local to your project, the better!
2. Use of responsibly sourced wood: Wood that is FSC certified or better, and/or salvaged or reused.
3. Creating partnerships along the value chain: Demonstrates value for business members of the local, responsibly sourced economy such as forest owners, millwrights, retailers, distributors, designers, architects, and/or builders. Tell us the story from stump to finished project.
4. Creative expression and innovation: For example, upcycling waste wood, incorporating a compelling story, utilizing a challenging tree species, etc.
5. You tell us! What else should we know about your project? What are other ways that your project supports thriving local economies and the mission of the Build Local Alliance?
I’m in! How do I enter the Challenge?
- Applications are due September 30, 2016
- All submitted projects will be celebrated at the BLA Fall Event on October 26, 2016, with special recognition for the selected Challenge winners
Judging and Awards
One winner from each category will be selected by an independent panel of green building professionals. Awards will include project publicity, recognition, and a special prize!
Take the Challenge!
For questions, to submit your project description, or to submit the full application, email Meagan Nuss: Meagan@wisewood.us